Worship, Bible Study & Inspiration
We will gather for worship and inspiration several times:
- Plenary I - Grounding Big Tent in the St. Louis Context. Thursday, 4:00 p.m. People of faith in the St. Louis area have faced profound challenges and opportunities over the last several years as national attention has focused on racial, civil, economic strife in Ferguson and elsewhere. What does it mean to this community for Big Tent to be gathering here and what does it mean to the Presbyterian Church? We begin this conference with an opportunity to set our work in the context of their experiences by inviting local leaders to share their stories and lessons of engagement in St. Louis.
- Opening worship – Thursday, 7:00 p.m. The preacher is the Rev. Dr. J. Herbert Nelson II, stated clerk of the General Assembly.
- Bible study on Friday and Saturday mornings, led by Eric Barreto, Princeton Theological Seminary, based on the book of Acts.
- Plenary II – Friday, 4:00 p.m. Denise Anderson and Jan Edmiston, co-moderators of the 222nd General Assembly will speak.
- Closing worship – Saturday at 1:30 p.m. The preacher is Christine Hong, assistant professor of Worship and Evangelism, Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary.
- Workshops—Three sessions of workshops are offered on Friday and Saturday, with over 50 offerings. Download the schedule of events for a complete list of all available workshops.
Engagement with St. Louis Churches
Friday evening includes an invitation for Big Tent participants to travel to local Presbyterian congregations and participate in worship, share a meal, and engage in Holy Conversations around race. These conversations will be an extension of the ongoing dialog surrounding racial divisions and mistrust which have affected St. Louis and communities throughout the country. Participants will experience a process of honest and challenging conversations about race and leave with tools to further these discussions in their home congregations. This evening promises to be a unique and spirit-filled opportunity to join together with God’s people. Participating churches include: First Presbyterian Ferguson, Second Presbyterian St. Louis, Third Presbyterian St. Louis, Oak Hill Presbyterian, and Cote Brilliante Presbyterian. See the Schedule of Events for more information. Transportation is provided from the campus. Sign up is available as part of Big Tent registration.