Ruling Elder Books
- “Making Disciples, Making Leaders: A Manual for Presbyterian Church Leader Development”. Two-part book series that includes a Leader Guide and Participant Workbook introducing biblical principles for leadership before describing the important task of the nominating committee as well as a step-by-step curriculum for a four- session leadership training course.
- "The Presbyterian Ruling Elder: an Essential Guide". For those considering becoming ruling elders and those who have been elected to this ordered ministry. Explains the meaning of the term "ruling elder" and the qualifications and duties of this ministry. The book goes on to explore the relationship of ruling elders to other elders, the role of the ruling elder on session and in presbytery, and the relationships to pastors and to the whole church. Fully revised based on the new Form of Government of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), this book is invaluable for new ruling elders preparing for their role. This book is also available in Korean and Spanish.
- "Ruling Elders: Formation". Guides newly appointed leaders through the discernment process and helps readers come to terms with the process: election to office, preparation for ordered ministry, ordination, and installation as a ruling elder on the session.
- "Ruling Elders: Transformation". Introduces six aspects of becoming a transformational leader: embracing change and discomfort, practicing spiritual discernment, approaching work as worship, keeping the Sabbath, practicing and promoting spiritual disciplines, and committing to self-awareness.
- "Selected to Serve: A Guide for Church Leaders" (2nd Edition) by Earl S. Johnson
- "Presbyterian Polity for Church Leaders" (4th Edition) by Joan S. Gray and Joyce C. Tucker
- Spiritual Leadership for Church Officers: A Handbook by Joan S. Gray