Stated Clerk Nomination Committee
Stated Clerk Nomination Committee
The Stated Clerk Nomination Committee (SCNC) is elected by the General Assembly that meets prior to the end of the Stated Clerk’s term of office. The current Stated Clerk Nomination Committee was elected by the 221st General Assembly (2014) and is responsible to:
- Receive applications for the position of Stated Clerk of the General Assembly up to 180 days before the opening of the 222nd General Assembly (2016), which is June 18–25, 2016, in Portland, Oregon;
- Review the applicants and their qualifications;
- Declare its nominee no later than 60 days before the opening of the 222nd General Assembly (2016).
In two, 48-hour face-to-face meetings (May and September 2015), and through correspondence and collaboration in-between, the committee has worked to develop a careful and thorough process and timeline for its work. It is clear to the committee that the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)—in fact, the entire interreligious world—is living in a kairos moment. All around us are those seeking vision, direction, stability, and focus. It is our prayer that, even now, God is preparing a Stated Clerk nominee who will provide energy, intelligence, imagination, and love to and for a church reformed and always being reformed according to the Word of God.
|October 1, 2015||Stated Clerk Application Period Opens|
|December 21, 2015||Stated Clerk Application Period Closes
Completed Applications (electronically) due by Midnight EST
|January 20-22, 2016||Conference Call Interviews|
|March 2-5, 2016||Face-to-Face Interviews, First Round|
|April 6-8, 2016||Face-to-Face Interviews, Second Round (if needed)|
|April 19, 2016||SCNC Presents Nominee for Stated Clerk|
|May 4, 2016||Deadline for challenges to SCNC Nominee|
|June 18-25, 2016||222nd General Assembly (2016), Portland, Oregon|
What does the Stated Clerk of the General Assembly do?
- Preserves and defends the Constitution of the PC(USA) and supports the decisions, actions, and programs of the General Assembly
- Is responsible for General Assembly meetings (Standing Rule H.2)
- Is the permanent ecumenical representative of the General Assembly
- Is the chief executive officer of the Office of the General Assembly and directs fifty staff in two locations
- Submits a proposed per capita budget to COGA for its action and recommendation to the General Assembly
- Maintains the archives and records management of the PC(USA)
- Promotes the harmony and efficiency of the General Assembly and its agencies, with special attention to relationships with mid councils and other General Assembly entities
- Is the primary spokesperson for General Assembly actions
News & Statements
April 21, 2016
The Rev. Carol McDonald, moderator of the Stated Clerk Nomination Committee, tells why the Rev. Dr. J. Herbert Nelson was selected as the nominee for Stated Clerk of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
- April 19, 2016
- February 5, 2016
- December 16, 2015
- November 2, 2015
Standing Rule H.2.b.(3)(a): The slate of nominees for the Stated Clerk Nomination Committee shall consist of the following: three members of the Committee on the Office of the General Assembly (nominated by the Committee on the Office of the General Assembly, one of whom shall serve as moderator of the committee), one member of the General Assembly Mission Council (nominated by the General Assembly Mission Council), and five at-large members nominated by the General Assembly Nominating Committee in the following categories: one council stated clerk and four persons (two ruling elders and two clergy) from among commissioners who have attended an assembly in the past six years. The General Assembly Nominating Committee shall present to the assembly for election the slate of nominees for the Stated Clerk Nomination Committee. The slate presented shall reflect the denomination’s commitment to inclusiveness.
- Advisory Committee on Litigation
- Advisory Committee on the Constitution
- Committee on Representation
- Committee on the Office of the General Assembly
- General Assembly Committee on Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations
- General Assembly Nominating Committee
- General Assembly Permanent Judicial Commission
- Stated Clerk Nomination Committee