Stated Clerk Nomination Committee
Stated Clerk Nomination Committee
The Stated Clerk Nomination Committee is elected by the General Assembly that meets prior to the end of the term of a Stated Clerk of the General Assembly.
The current SCNC was elected by the 219th General Assembly (2010) and is responsible for the following:
- Receiving applications for the position of Stated Clerk of the General Assembly up to 180 days before the opening of the 220th General Assembly (GA), which is June 30-July 7, 2012, in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Reviewing the applicants and their qualifications.
- Declaring its nominee no later than 60 days before the opening of the 22oth GA.
Standing Rules H.2.b Election of the Stated Clerk
September 4, 2011
- The SCNC shall begin its work no later than this date. (Standing Rule H.2.b – (3) (e) 300 days before the start of the assembly)
January 2, 2012
- Person seeking the position of Stated Clerk shall file completed applications & resume & PIF with the SCNC. (Standing Rule H.2.b – (3) (g) 180 days before opening Of General Assembly)
Note: If the incumbent wants to be considered, he or she will notify the committee in writing and submit a current resume or PIF.
- The Committee of the Office of the General Assembly shall provide a copy of the end-of-term evaluation to SCNC.
May 1, 2012
- SCNC shall declare its nominee no later than 60 days before the opening of General Assembly. (Standing Rule H.2.b – (3) (j ) the committee shall declare its nominee no later than 60 days.)
May 16, 2012
- Any applicant who wishes to run against nominee of the SCNC shall declare their intention to the committee. (Standing Rule H.2.b – (3) (k) any applicant…who wish to Be placed in nomination against the nominee of the committee shall declare their intention 45 days before Opening of General Assembly.)
June 30, 2012
- Convening of General Assembly
News & Statements
March 21, 2012
The Rev. Gradye Parsons has been selected by the Stated Clerk Nomination Committee (SCNC) to stand as its nominee for a second term as Stated Clerk of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
“Gradye’s references describe him as one who is ‘committed to Jesus Christ and the whole church’ and ‘disarmingly wise,’” said the Rev. Dennis Hughes, a teaching elder from Seattle, Wash., who chairs the SCNC. Hughes is also a member of the Committee on the Office of the General Assembly.
Standing Rule H.2.b.(3)(a): The slate of nominees for the Stated Clerk Nomination Committee shall consist of the following: three members of the Committee on the Office of the General Assembly (nominated by the Committee on the Office of the General Assembly, one of whom shall serve as moderator of the committee), one member of the General Assembly Mission Council (nominated by the General Assembly Mission Council), and five at-large members nominated by the General Assembly Nominating Committee in the following categories: one council stated clerk and four persons (two ruling elders and two clergy) from among commissioners who have attended an assembly in the past six years. The General Assembly Nominating Committee shall present to the assembly for election the slate of nominees for the Stated Clerk Nomination Committee. The slate presented shall reflect the denomination’s commitment to inclusiveness.
- Advisory Committee on Litigation
- Advisory Committee on the Constitution
- Committee on Representation
- Committee on the Office of the General Assembly
- General Assembly Committee on Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations
- General Assembly Nominating Committee
- General Assembly Permanent Judicial Commission
- Special Committee on the Confession of Belhar
- Stated Clerk Nomination Committee