How Can I Apply?
The GA nominations application process is now open.
The General Assembly nominations process is an application-based process. Persons wishing to be considered for membership on the ongoing entities of the General Assembly (boards, committees, councils, and commission) as well as special committees, commissions, or task forces approved by a General Assembly must complete an application form and solicit personal references forms in order to be considered in the pool of applicants.
Most positions for service must be filled by Presbyterians – either church members or ministers. There are some positions that can only be filled by teaching elders or ruling elders. The description for each entity should clarify whether or not ordination to one of the ordered ministries is required for membership.
If you wish to be considered for nomination, you will need to complete an application form and solicit three personal references. The manager for GA Nominations will contact your council of membership – presbytery for teaching elders, session for ruling elders, deacons, and church members – for an additional reference.
Getting Ready to Apply
- Read about the GA Nominations Process.
- Review the list of vacancies.
- Read the description of the various entities noting the specified qualifications for each entity as well as time commitments.
- Prayerfully decide for which entity you will apply.
- Know your presbytery and synod name.
- Know whom you will ask to serve as your references (you will need 3 personal references) and have their contact information on hand.
- Think through your responses to the following questions from the application form:
- Indicate for which entity (commission, committee, board) are you are applying.
- Share about your faith in Jesus Christ and involvement in the church.
- The reason you feel called to serve on the entity.
- Indicate the relevant experiences, gifts, and skills you bring to the entity.
- Name one key theological issue facing the church today and explain your perspective on this issue.
- Provide a list of your church/community/professional service including dates of service.
- Provide information about your skill set (from a list of experience levels).
- Provide information about your education (institution, location, degree, year earned).
- Provide information about your work history (organization, location, title, start year, end year).
- Please provide any additional information you would like to share. You will be able to attach additional materials.
Application Deadline – Tuesday, December 1, 2015
Reference materials must be received by Saturday, January 2, 2016
Review the descriptions for each entity to which the GANC makes nominations.
If you are ready to make and submit your application you may do so here.
If you have questions or comments, please contact Valerie Small, Assistant Stated Clerk and Manager for GA Nominations.
Thank you again for your willingness to serve the larger church. Grace to you and peace.